Life Lately

Monday, August 8, 2016

Ahhh life. It can get pretty crazy sometimes. Mine has certainly been a whirlwind as of late, what with the new baby coming, school starting soon, and a slew of various medical maladies plaguing multiple members of my household (myself included- more on all that later). Add to that a crazy, hormonal mama wanting to get into nesting mode and you've got a pretty stressful situation. On top of everything already going on and keeping me up at night I've been trying to quietly deal with some unfortunate family drama. When it rains it pours, right?

Let's start with the baby update first, shall we? I'm currently 35 1/2 weeks pregnant with exactly one month to go until my due date. I'm feeling OK most days, just really tired and feeling like I'm running out of room for this little guy in my belly. He's been kicking the crap out of my hips and is pressing on my ribs pretty much constantly now, which makes things like breathing and peeing fun. My kidney problem is still bothering me- it's pretty consistently painful on a daily basis, but not enough for me to want to go to the hospital again (because that's seriously not fun at all). Plus, with 3 kids and not many options for anyone to watch them, it's kind of more of a pain in the butt than anything.

Even with a pretty sizeable belly and a good waddle going on we've managed to still have some fun this summer. We hit up our local family aquatics center a handful of times, been going to the YMCA to swim and play once or twice a week, and we finally made it to the lake for the first time this summer. Of course our lake day was interrupted by a freak thunder and lightning storm though- that was an interesting adventure! Thankfully it came and went quickly, so we hunkered down under a nearby gazebo, ate our picnic lunch, and watched the light show while it poured rain and thunder boomed. The kids thought it was pretty cool.

Last week we had quite a scare with Lily. She'd been complaining of a stomach ache for a few days, and finally by Tuesday evening she was on the couch moaning and pointing to the right side of her belly. Uh oh. My husband Shayne had to have his appendix out just a couple of years ago and said he thought we needed to take her to the ER to get checked out, even though she didn't have any other symptoms or a fever. It was already 8pm by then, so I stayed home with Harper and Ayden while he took Lily to the local children's hospital. After a urinalysis and some scans the doctor came back with a diagnosis of appendicitis and said she'd be needing surgery first thing in the morning. They started an IV on her right away to get some antibiotics and fluids going while Shayne called me to fill me in. We decided that he'd come home and stay with the kids so that I could go be with Lily (who wanted me) for her surgery. Well, that plan changed pretty quickly because as soon as he hung with me Lily threw up, which made the doctors decide that she couldn't wait for surgery in the morning and they were going to do it right away (by this time it was nearly midnight). Shayne stayed there while they prepped her for surgery, put her under anesthesia, and took her back, and then he raced home so that I could switch with him and be there before she came out of surgery. Thankfully, we only live about 10 minutes away so I was able to get there before she was awake!

Sitting in the children's hospital waiting room at 1am was one of the scariest moments of my life. I know it probably sounds dramatic since we were there for a pretty routine surgery, not a brain tumor or heart transplant or something, but I was terrified. None of my kids had ever had surgery before. Heck, they've never even had a broken bone or stitches. So the thought of IVs, anesthesia, and surgery on one of my babies worried the crap out of me. Even though it was just an appendix, there are risks. My mind was racing as I sat there on a really uncomfortable couch next to the fish tank in the waiting room. What if she didn't wake up? Could she bleed out? Maybe there were complications? Post-op infection? Lots of pain? They finally came out and told me she was done and resting in recovery, and I had to try really hard not to burst into tears when I saw her laying in the hospital bed, still completely under anesthesia and hooked up to about a million machines and monitors. She looked so tiny and frail. Sometimes I forget she's only 8 because she's so mature and grown up already. They told me she'd wake up on her own shortly, so I sat in a rocking chair next to her bed and held her little hand while the doctor came out and explained everything to me and answered all of my questions. After about 15 more minutes she finally woke up- the first thing she did was give me a huge smile and said "Is it over? I don't even remember when they put the mask on my face." I laughed, she drifted in and out of sleep a few more times, and we got moved to a private room on another floor at the hospital. We ended up only staying for about 24 hours total and went home the next night after dinner.

Lily was seriously amazing for it all- I only saw her cry one time and it was because her IV was bugging her and I think she just really tired and wanted to go home (I don't blame her- hospitals suck and you can't rest). She hardly complained about the pain and was up walking around and going to the bathroom almost right away. The doctors and nurses all raved about what an awesome little patient she was! I'm so thankful her surgery went so smoothly and her recovery has been so fast. We had a great little network of friends who helped watch Ayden and Harper while we were at the hospital, and we even had someone stop by with dinner the day after we got home. I've never had someone do that before! It was really nice and so incredibly thoughtful, because cooking dinner was the last thing on my mind.

That nesting I was speaking of earlier? Yeah, that's totally kicked in. 30 days and counting means it's crunch time and that the baby could literally come at any moment (though I'm betting he'll be pretty close to his due date). I needed to calm some of my anxiety and feel more prepared, so I figured it was probably a good idea to wash and sort all of the baby clothes and get them all put away. The baby is going to be sort of sharing a room with Harper for now (though they won't be sleeping in there at the same time, I'm sure), so I have just one teeny, tiny closet to use for the both of them. I'm embarrassed to say that in the year we've lived here I haven't really done anything with her closet besides hang a few dresses in it and shove a bunch of crap in there. It was time to get organized and make the most of this tiny space! Two trips to Target later and I was ready to get started.

Ahhh, that feels so much better! All of the newborn and 0-3 month clothes are washed, sorted, and put away. I've got diapers and all of the essentials, so I think I'm pretty much ready for this baby now. Stress, be gone (ya know, until I give birth and then have to figure out what to do with 4 kids). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Comments make me happy.

Powered by Blogger.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan

Your copyright

Melissa Swenson and Lulu & Sweet Pea